Parent Advisory Council General Meeting
April 8, 2019 @7:15pm
Welcome and Correspondence
Dave Dye introduced special guest, Ryan Stewart – School Trustee for Burnaby Mountain
Minutes of Feb 2019 council meeting
Adopted and approved
Adopted and approved for Feb and March, draft budget will be shared at June meeting
School Sponsor Club Request – no new request
Dry Grad – no updates to provide
- Event to raise funds for Cancer Foundation on April 26, 2019
- Starting Friday Food Trucks initiative to help promote and raise school spirit
- Upcoming Student Council Elections
Flex Time and New Careers Model – What is it?
Mr Grieve presented on Flex Time, an initiative throughout Lower Mainland High Schools and will be introduced next year to Burnaby Mountain
- aimed to help students who need to get caught up with assignments, homework, who need extra help
- students can choose to work in groups or work with teachers
- support outcomes of Gr 11/12 Career Life Connections
- 43 min in length, likely on a wed between periods 1 and 2 (schedule to be released soon)
Vaping Presentation (Jessica Gile and Sean McCarron)
Ongoing outreach sessions with students, PE teachers
- Vaping contents have harmful solvents, flavours consisting of chemicals, varying levels of nicotine
- Upcoming vaping tour by Health Canada (last week of May)
- Video and Promo Materials available to encourage discussions with teens about Vaping and how to make better decisions
*YouTube Video on Vaping, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZS_Rniak0
*Parent Resources (attached)
BCCPAC Annual Conference May 3-5, parents who wish to attend can contact Dave Dye. PAC may have funds to pay for an additional parent to attend the conference.
Upcoming Session on Scholarships, May 26, 2019 – How to Unlock your Future
Principal’s Report and Questions
- Grad assembly coming up April 18 in the morning. Followed by an ICBC presentation.
- Course selection finished. Registering cross district and out of district this week. Enrichment assessment for grade 7’s scheduled this week. Finishing up articulation at elementary schools this week.
- Summer school registration opens on Wednesday, April 17.
- Next year’s calendar will be shared at our June meeting.
- BGT is April 16th at MJ Fox at 6:30 pm.
- Senior All Nighter is April 26th
- Year end dance showcase: Monday, April 29th at MJ Fox.
- Musical: Shrek: May 1 – 4 and 8th – 11th
- Final Exit interviews are May 2nd in the morning.
- School leaving ceremony is May 28.
- Spring Music concert is May 30th
- Spring sports in full swing: Badminton, Volleyball, Soccer, Track & Field, Rugby, Ultimate, Netball.
- Sun run team defending their title this weekend with over 90 participants.
Meeting adjourned at 8pm. May PAC meeting is cancelled. Next PAC will be on June 3rd.
|Minutes submitted by:||Maribeth Yap|
|Approved by:||Dave Dye|