Burnaby Mountain PAC meeting minutes March 5, 2017-03-06
Called to order 7:20 p.m.
Minutes – January’s meeting minutes reviewed and adopted. (Patty Andersen motioned; Dave Dye seconded)
Student Council Update – none at this time
Treasurer’s Report – we are on budget. Report reviewed and adopted. (Giovanna Irving motioned; Dave Dye seconded)
Old/New Business –
School Sponsor club requests – Jyoti Panesar representing GSA (Gender Sexuality Alliance) and Fem Club (female empowerment) requests as teacher sponsor. GSA seeking $500.00 for initiatives e.g. speakers representative of themselves, promoting LGBTQ visibility at Mountain, etc. Fem Club seeking $200 for fundraising initiatives.
- PAC executive approves $250.00 for GSA (with room for additional funding possible) and $200.00 for Fem Club (motion by Patty Andersen; seconded by Dave Dye)
Dry Grad Committee – Giovanna Irving
- Tickets will be available beginning March 8th for raffle items amounting to $3,000 in prizes. Sales will run March and April
- Look forward to more fundraisers in the coming weeks including flower and chocolate sales. Watch for emails with further details.
Committee Reports –
DPAC – Dave Dye – topics dealt with at district meeting:
- We now have a part-time high school and elementary resource teacher to assist teachers with resources on the subject of SOGI (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity). FYI we have a gender neutral washroom on each floor at Mountain.
- Timelines were discussed for replacing SPC (School Planning Committees)
- A motion was made to approve DPAC letter writing to increase funding to public education and requesting more consistent funding models.
- April 3rd – DPAC meeting for 2017-18 budget taking place
- April 4th – Public education forum being held at Shadbolt Centre – details to be distributed by PAC president shortly if you are interested
Parent Education – April 25 Dr. Vo presentation at Mountain on topic of Mindfulness in Teens
- Scholarship information presentation by Brittany Palmer of Unlock Your Future TBA October, 2017
Principal’s Report – Highlights
- YELL program visited in January – very successful
- Sing Thing – our choir liaised with elementary students
- Reach Out Psychosis
- Great Canadian Geography Challenge
- Open House at Mountain with Wizard of Oz preview
- Dallas Yellowfly presentation
- Dragon’s Den BMSS
- Stoney Creek/Lyndhurst Bird Houses
- Basketball, gr. 9 girls win banner
- Grad Pancake Breakfast
- Pink Shirt Day
- Math challenges – 2nd place finishes
- Dancing with the Teachers
- Talent Show
- Health & Fitness week this week
- Shutter & blind project for the building to be completed spring break
- Enrollment for next year very similar
- An app being added “Mountain Connect”
- Parent connect on MyEd opening soon (term 3 goal for paperless report cards)
- Report card distribution March 8th; course selection changes must be done with counsellor; verifications coming home with reports
- Grade 12 exit interviews March 7 (and May 4th)
- Locker clean up Friday
- Wifi project ongoing – encourage your child to try it out
- April 24th Pro-D Day
- May 9th Festival of Learning at SFU
- More emergency drills were required this year
- Feedback needed on District Calendar for next 3 years – closing soon if interested
Spring Sports – ball hockey, track & field, girls’ soccer, grade 8/9 boys volleyball, golf, netball, tennis, badminton, ultimate
Next PAC meeting: Monday, April 10, 2017 7:15 p.m.
Meeting adjourned: 8:05 p.m.