BMSS PAC General Meeting
Jan 5 2014 at 7:15pm
1 Carol opened and chaired tonight’s meeting. Apologies from Alana Park. Introductions all the way around. Welcome to Mr Callister, science teacher
2. Motion to accept the minutes for December. Patty Andersen accepted, Anne Millard seconded . Motion carried.
3. Treasurer’s Report – summary reviewed. Explanation of the two different accounts, Gaming and Main. Slightly more than predicted due to slightly more student donations. We are on track presently and projected. Motion made to accept budget, Diane McDonald accepted, Anne Millard seconded. Motion carried
4. Student Council update
Kieran Ghadia – Not a lot yet to report as this is the first day back. Last year, Santa’s workshop was good. Mr Morton dressed up as Santa. With the food drive, about 40 boxes of food were collected. Kieran also addressed the fact that the Winter Formal got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.
5. Mr Barry Callister – AP coordinator for the school. Students can take certain courses which are at university level. If they get 4 or 5 out of 5 they can use credits for this in university. Students can take the course without having to write the exam. Students are encouraged to write the exam as they help prepare students for university. If they fail the exam, they don’t fail the course. The university looks at the highest of the two results – classroom marks vs the AP exam.
6. School Meetings
School Meeting coming up – Jesse Miller is coming to talk about internet safety on March 4th from 7 to 8:30. We will start in the multi-purpose room, and get a bigger room if we need to. All parents welcome. Attendance is free.
7. Dry Grad
We are looking for a donation of big prizes to be able to raffle off to raise funds for Dry Grad. Pub Night at the John B pub for the 19th of January. Twenty dollars per ticket, sell 9 and get one free.
8. Meetings –
DPAC – no meeting
SPC – Diane McDonald, Patty Andersen, Vicki Dorval, and Mr Chin. SPC Meeting was on Dec 3rd. Miss De Mello and Tara O’Reilly attended. The goals reviewed were literacy and healthy living. Discussion around moving from overall literacy to more subject based literacy, starting with science. Discussion around using a rubric similar to what Mr Papasthaniou developed. Reviewed healthy living, including eating, physical fitness and social/emotional health.
LGBTQ – presentation to staff on Nov 22 raising awareness.
9. Fund Raising -no new fundraising outlines for January. Revisiting Pampered Chef, and also looking at St John’s Ambulance for some fundraising.
10. Principal’s Report
Thanks for coming. It was a terrific first day.
We have been talking a bit about Jesse Miller. His main message to G8 and 9 was ‘be careful about what you post online – it NEVER disappears’. Also, people often don’t limit the range of who they include in their posts, and can inadvertently include people who they never intended to include.
Some heat coils failed, exploded and flooded the gym area. Water was up to people’s knees. The floor will eventually subside, but will need to be resurfaced in the summer.
Band and choir concert was held at SFU on December 10th.
We are going to be having an audit in February looking at teaching support services. They will be looking at 5 designations within the school. It is a normal process, but does require a lot of paperwork in order to comply.
Feb 6 is course selection evening beginning at 6pm. Instead of G7 being by itself, the evening will combine the G7 and higher grades together.
During the holiday season the staff support 3 families, this was in addition to the 40 boxes of food collected by the food drive.
Ms De Mello is acting PE head until September when Ms. Lewis, who is on Maternity Leave, will return.
Mr Chin has got the commons and hall TVs working again. It required a lot of work in order to have the TVs connected to the internet and is easier to use in order to improve communication with students.
Almost finished changing all the urinals and toilets, the old ones were very high water users.
The school name facing Gaglardi way said ‘Mountain Secondary School’, with the word Burnaby missing. It has now, after considerable effort on Mr Chin’s part, been corrected.
Just waiting for the district to provide the school with food scrap bins so we can move ahead with food recycling.
Feb 27th is the next date for Talk Time which is a day time event that parents can attend to learn more about the school, especially for parents who may not be able to attend at night. Mr Wozney will host this.
(Kieran asked if Jesse Miller could be asked to speak to all students, not just the younger groups.)
11. Draw completed. Meeting closed at 8:22