Burnaby Mountain Secondary School
Parent Advisory Council Meeting – Library
Monday, February 3, 2020 at 7:15 pm
- Welcome & Correspondence – call to order 7:16pm
- Minutes of December 2019 Council Meeting – motion, seconded, approved
- Student Council Update – none
- Treasurer’s Report – motion, seconded, approved
Wish List; Club requests from last meeting; PAC grant for $334 received; Retained earnings as of date $35, 118.92 as of January 31, 2020
- Old/New Business
Club Requests – potentially Ski/Board provincials in Invermere
Dry Grad 2020
- Cutlery sets and bottle drive fundraisers did really well; finalizing details – more game focused this year; Friday June 12th evening
- Committee Reports
DPAC – last meeting in December 2019; district budget presentation did not indicate any radical changes/consistent
Parent Ed – considering wellness workshop with Dr. Dzung Vo (mindfulness: dealing with stress) Thursday April 2 or 23 evening in the multipurpose room
- Career Life Connections – What is it?
Planning (now Career Life Education 10) and Graduation Transitions courses in past years – mental health moved to PE 10 now; looking into future planning moved into Career course
Career Life Connections: preparing for life, the next step. Universities are indicating that students are changing majors/faculties 5 times and taking longer to finish their education. CLC12 split between two years. Better to do a flow to incorporate into grade 11 and grade 12 years. Happens in tutorial flex time.
G11 – exploring options and seeing what there is: what options are, what they want to do and where, what skills you have, what work environment you enjoy, how this translates when applying to university, skills needed (core competencies), exploring career options (will there be a job there for you in that field), entrance and scholarship application questions
G12 – talking about their journey (capstone) and how they got to the career choice they want (one on one chats), Capstone on May 21 where students, teachers and community members meet to talk, ask questions, etc.
Work Experience 12A – CP focus area in G11, then pick a course once in G12 – 30 hours volunteer + 50 hrs = 80 hours for 4 course credits as part of their course work
Career Centre: volunteer newsletter with volunteer opportunities, Work BC Parents Guide, G11 and G12 upcoming events
Scholarship Workshop and Parents as Career Coaches in Fall, give Career Centre 10 minutes to talk about opportunities
- Principal Reports & Questions
- Open House was huge success. Lots of Grade 7 parents. Our enrolment is supposed to be up slightly for next year. However, lots of cross and district students at Open House.
- Choir has been busy with 6th annual Sing thing. Cameron, Forest Grove and Stoney Creek attended this year
- One of our Junior Improv teams tied for second place in competition last week and the other one won their round. Senior team won their round. Theatre department preparing for Spring play: Game of tiaras. April 29 – May 2.
- We had approximately 600 exams written during assessment week. Next opportunity is in April for Grade 12’s who have not written numeracy.
- Monday Feb 17th is Family Day. Schools are closed. Friday the 28th is a District’s Pro-D day.
- Term two of collab time started last week and is going well. Grade 8 and 9’s had Jessie Miller speaking to them on digital safety.
- Pink shirt day is February 26: Leadership and SOGI club planning activities for this day.
- Course selection happening this week for grade 8’s and 10’s. Grade 9 and 11’s had assemblies during assessment week. Course selection fully open up at the end of this week. Closes March 1.
- Adjournment at 8:23 pm
Next Parent Council Meeting:
Monday, April 6, 2020
Rescheduled to virtual meeting Monday May 11, 2020
Refreshments & snacks served provided by BMSS catering students