Burnaby Mountain Secondary School
Parent Advisory Council Meeting – Library
Monday, December 2, 2019 at 7:15 pm
- Welcome & Correspondence
- Minutes of September 2019 Council Meeting – deferred
- Student Council Update – none
- Treasurer’s Report – motion, seconded, approved
Issued cheque $525 parent scholarship seminar; $20/student for gaming grant this year; issued cheque student council drama lights
- Old/New Business
School sponsor club requests
- Steve is coach; Junior Girls Basketball; team provincial qualifying tournament; $500 for 12 students; fundraising currently – motion, approved for $500
- Lindsay is indigenous access teacher; 15 G8-12 indigenous students; hire Trenton Pierre to work with students in series of workshop (medicine wheel) ending in art project; asking $500 for project; motion, approved for $500
- Permanent art project for school windows with senior students; Indigenous project; storyteller artist (residential school survivor) of their journey; will give back $500 scholarship; transfer design on vinyl unveiling during Spring break; lifespan of 15-20 years; applied to Art Starts grant and potentially another grant; asking $1950 or possibly $1500 with second grant; motion, approved for $1500
- Visual performing arts; Artsy; 4 artists to come; cross disciplinary G8-10 for breakout workshops for 120 students during exam week (Jan 21-24); any number of students can attend performances; asking $900 but may only need $400; motion, approved for $400
- Arts Club supplies; banners project on canvas fabric; what BMSS means to students; asking for cost of fabric and paint; 60 students from 2 classes + 30 kids in club currently and potentially growing; asking $1500 for art supplies; motion, approved for $1500
Dry Grad 2020
fundraising opportunities; recycling drop-off at 3 locations or drop off at BMSS fundraiser on January 12th
- Committee Reports
DPAC Parent Ed – vaping seminar went well; how to meaningfully engage parents’ participation in schools
BMSS parent ed – Healthy School Committee student wellness (stress/anxiety); – DASH BC pilot program?
- Healthy Schools A Reality – DASH Certification (pilot program in BC now)
Brad & Janet – looking for parents to get involved and join committee to get school certified; 3rd Thursday at lunch once a month; need 800 points for certification; deadline Feb 13th is when first 2 steps needs to be done; currently have 7 student 0 parents; next meeting is December 17th at 1135am; BradKinoshita@burnabyschools.ca
- Literacy Assessment Team
Sam Murray, English teacher – G10 literacy assessment team from English, Social Studies, Science, Math; create relevant & challenging practice exam for students to demo structure, language and style of exam; demo nature of new curriculum; no surprises for students to reduce test anxiety; cross curriculum assessment not just English; student access to data, components, proficiency scale; resources on BC Curriculum web site; G10 literacy exam in January 2020
- Principal’s Report & Questions – see below
- Adjournment at 8:25 pm
Next Council Meeting: Monday, February 3, 2020
Refreshments & snacks served provided by BMSS catering students
PAC Principal’s Report
December 2, 2019
During Tutorial time in October we had 2 time Olympic medallist from the Canadian women’s soccer team, Rhian Wilkinson, speak to the grade 8 and 9’s about overcoming adversity and achieving success.
Our safe school specialist, Sean Mccaron spoke to all the grade 8 classes on the topic of vaping.
We had a fun Halloweek with lots of staff and students dressing up.
During the first week of November we said goodbye to Mr. Greve and welcomed our new vice principal Mr. Chris Sandor. Mr. Greve is the new district principal of Provincial Resource Programs. Mr. Sandor was previously a vice principal at Rockridge in West Vancouver.
Successful Remembrance Day Assembly on Nov. 8 with beautiful performances by band, choir and dance. We do 2 Assemblies to accommodate the entire student body. We had a tea for the seniors from Cameron Rec Centre which was run by the leadership class and catering.
PSI Fair on last week was jammed with all the local universities and colleges and lots of student interest.
Culturefest was November 21 and was very successful. Lots of food the performances were quite a variety and were are very thankful for all the support.
Fall Sports highlights:
- Soccer: Both Jr and Sr boys qualified for their respective zone competitions but ultimately fell short of the medal rounds.
- wimming: We had 15 athletes qualify for provincials and Isabella Brunoro finished top 8 in all three of her individual events.
- C: We took home the Sr & Jr girls district banners, and the Junior boys district and Zone banners.
- Volleyball: Junior Girls made it onto day 2 action at the Zone tournament but fell short of the medal games. Grade 9 girls placed 4th in the Zone.
- Grade 8 Rugby: Undefeated in regular season play and finished 2nd in the district.
- Basketball and Wrestling up and running now.
BMSS Theatre Company presents Little Women the Broadway Musical December 4 – 7th.
Report cards out Dec 11
Term 2 has begun
Xmas concert is December 12 at 7 pm at Michael J. Fox Theatre at 7pm
Mountain MADNESS – Dec 12/13
Santa’s Workshop will be on the last day before Winter Break. Prizes include a TV, concert tickets and many other prizes.
Artona Grad Photos are January 7 – 11
Numeracy and Literacy Exams – Jan 21 – 24 Grade 10’s will all write both exams. Only grade 11/12 who need to re-write or have not written will do the numeracy exam.
Open House & Course Selection Evening – Jan 30