Burnaby Mountain Secondary School
Parent Advisory Council Meeting – Zoom
Monday, December 7, 2020 at 7:00 pm
|Dave Dye, Chair Annette Yang, Secretary Franca Spartano, Treasurer Ingrid Anand, Parent Ed Maribeth Yap, MAL LeeAnne Kristmanson, Principal||Connie Hosie Dream Susan Young Jen Z Kari Galamahnazxy A7||Jenica Pong * Clare Vu* * student council|
- Welcome & Correspondence – call to order 7:00pm
- Minutes of November 2020 Council Meeting – table until February
- Student Council Update
- Jenica: Online Culturefest by posting images, Santa’s workshop/food drive, organizing 20th anniversary video – will send to alumni to enjoy
- Clare: Grad council spirt week dressing up and photo sharing successful, hoodie orders deadline yesterday for January 2021 delivery, profit of $1500 from Purdy’s sale of $5k, bottle returns fundraiser still going on and raised $70 so far, deadline is this Friday for grad baby pics, next week is Student council spirit week featuring acts of kindness bingo, unsure of how grad will work out due to COVID
- Dave asks LeeAnne to send out reminder to parents about baby photos
- Treasurer’s Report – update on a few outstanding items
- Committee Reports
- DPAC Meeting Update – October meeting with lots of COVID updates, Burnaby as a whole has been doing fairly well due to precautions, next DPAC meeting is in January
- Parent Ed – Gilbert Lam will do presentation on January 27 on mindfulness/mental health by pediatrician working at Royal Columbian and Children’s hospitals. Stress, toxic stress, youth mental health and strategies, mindfulness activities and Q&A. Register via EventBrite.
- COVID Update/Quartile Changeover
- Fraser Health update earlier today – FH to provide exposure update, BMSS has not have exposure as of date
- Question: any work sent home with students over break? Depends on the teacher and more likely for AP class students
- Principal’s Report & Questions
Successful Remembrance Day virtual ceremony on Nov. 10 with beautiful performances by a small music ensemble, choir and dance. The ceremony was pre-recorded and played in the classrooms during first period.
Finished our first quarter and we are 1/3 way through quarter 2. Surveys went out to staff, students and parents and we are looking at the data now.
Grad raised $1500 with their Purdy’s fundraiser. First order of Grad merchandise has gone out. They will do a second run in the new year.
Thank you to PAC for your support on the hands-free hand sanitizer stations. They are completed and up around the school.
Second run on grad clothing later next year for those who missed it this time around.
Fall Sports highlights:
- XC: We took home the Sr & Jr boys district banners, and the Senior girls district banners. Provincials event where some students did well.
- Volleyball: Students in grade 8 -12 have been competing in their cohorts. Grade 8/9’s participated in early November with large numbers of participants. Jr’s and Sr’s started November 19th and are currently playing.
- Basketball will start up in a similar format on January 4th.
- Coming up…
- Quarter 2 midterm Report cards posted December 18.
- Artona Grad Photos are January 5 – 9
- Numeracy and Literacy Exams – Grade 10’s will all write literacy exams Jan 25 – 28 and they will write numeracy in April. Grade 11/12 who need to re-write or have not written will do their exam in January.
- Virtual Open House & Course Selection: Putting together something to view online. 2020-2021 course selection process for students will start at the beginning of February.
- I Day/ Turnaround days: February 1 & 2
- Quarter 2 reports: published February 4
- Question Asked: opportunities for more electives and same quarters format for next year? No plans to minimize elections for Grades 10-12 at this time. Planning for quarter term for September which can easily move into a semester. Know more in January once vaccines are out. Most in metro are expecting quarters at this point of time.
- Question Asked: PAC minutes not update on PAC website? Dave to do his best to update
- Adjournment at 7:27pm
Next Council Meeting: Monday, February 1, 2020 at 7pm
Find us at: www.mountainpac.ca
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/MountainPAC